The Trial of Marie Montrecourt - Kay Patrick

To start I will say that the title is misleading. The trial takes place at the end of the book and lasts only a few chapters. Well worth waiting for to be sure but not the main story as I thought it would be.

The books opens with Marie awaiting the verdict of her trial in her cell, writing a letter and thinking back over what happened, how it happened and why it happened. Chapter one begins her story and what a story it is.

The telling of this story is as smooth as butter. It is not often that I read a book that flows so beautifully, telling the story so well and not full of unnecessary, boring information. Often I find myself skimming over these parts. The Trial of Marie Montrecourt has none of this. Instead of skimming I often went back and re-read passages, not due to confusion but to immerse myself even more into the story!

There is something for everyone in these pages. Mystery, scandal, a touch of romance, history, murder, a peek into medicine in the 1900’s, herbal medicine, women’s rights, characters you care about, some you want to protect, others you want to hang out with and others you want to give a swift kick in the pants! I would have to say this is one of my favorite reads of this year.

Highly recommended.