— feeling sad
So We Go: The Day My Father Died - Michael Hemery

There is not a whole lot I can say about this book other than I am glad that I read it.

The author shares his experience watching his father decline from a robust, strong man to a man who can no longer do anything for himself.  ALS or amyotrophic lateral sclerosis is a horrible, horrible disease that needs to be eradicated NOW!  This is a disease that slowly kills your body but never your mind.  Imagine being stuck, a prisoner in your body, a body that you can no longer control, no longer move, yet your brain is as strong and functioning as ever.  That to me is hell on earth.

The book takes us from the past telling stories about "Pa" and the man he was to the present, the man he was forced to become.  We walk the path to death along with the author and his family.  Like everything else, Pa died the way he wanted to proud and strong.

Books like this need to be written and read.  Death does not need to be swept under the bed.  It is important to know how these diseases take a toll on not just the person diagnosed but the entire family.  So We Go is a well written book that will make you laugh and cry but you will be glad that you were invited into this private moment.

Thank you Netgalley for providing a free galley of this book.