Dogs Don't Lie: A Pru Marlowe Pet Noir

Dogs Don't Lie: A Pru Marlowe Pet Noir - Clea Simon I picked this book from netgalley on a whim. I usually do not read animal books but something about this caught my eye and I am glad I gave it a chance.

The mystery is of course who killed Charles and why. Pru is trying to come to terms with her "gift" of hearing the animals, the gift that caused her to run from the big city home to small town of Berkshire where everyone knows your name and your business.

I found Pru to be an adorable main character who is able to communicate with animals. Pru is working with a pit bull who is blamed for her human's murder but Pru knows otherwise. Lilly is traumatized by what she's witnessed and is not able to give Pru the answers she needs to clear her and save her life. Clearing Lily also means pointing the finger towards herself as the murderer! That doesn't stop her from investigating on her own.

Add to this Pru's narcissistic cat, Wallis, who has an opinion on everything but is not always willing to share. She is also not a fan of dogs saying that they are not as smart as cats and she doesn't understand why Pru would waste her time on one! Wallis was good for more than a few laughs with her interaction with Pru and her definite catitude!

Dogs Don't Lie is a fun cozy that was a nice break from the heavy thrillers that I normally read. I loved the "voices" of the animals and seeing things the way they do. Wallis reminds me of my quirky cat Molly in so many ways. Listening to her complain about the "infant" that Pru brought home was like reliving our experience with Molly when we added a kitten to the family. Of course I could not hear Molly's comments and maybe that was for the best.

I have to say Wallis was my favorite character. The book kept me guessing and even though I did figure it out it was still fun watching Pru figure it out. I look forward to more in this series.

This book was free from Netgalley in the hopes of a reveiw.